Higher degrees by research

Contribute to new knowledge and become an expert in your field.

Curtin offers several higher degrees by research (HDRs) in the humanities. Through these degrees, you can carry out independent research under the guidance of one of our expert thesis supervisors.

woman on ipad

Our research degrees

We also offer postgraduate coursework options, including graduate certificates, graduate diplomas and master degrees.

What topic can I research?

Before applying to study a higher degree by research (HDR), you are encouraged to have a proposed research topic in mind that relates to one of our 12 research themes. For those interested in studying one of our discipline-specific doctorates, please choose a theme relevant to that degree.

Once you have a topic in mind, you will need to find a supervisor in that area to oversee your study. Our register of supervisors can help you identify the right academic.

How will I be supported?

Support for Humanities HDR students

As a Humanities HDR student you will have access to a variety of resources to help you gain the skills you need to research, write and produce a good thesis in good time.

Humanities HDR resources include:

  • Graduate Research Hub
  • Humanities HDR handbook
  • Policies and information
  • Links to the Graduate Research School
  • Resources for current students
  • Humanities Faculty Librarian.